Village of Beachburg

 

Previous
Next

The village of Beachburg is named after its founder, David Beach. Originally part of the Township of Westmeath, the village of Beachburg was incorporated in 1959. In its early years, industry in the village included a flax mill, a cheese and butter factory and flour mills. In 1853 a fire swept through the village destroying all but two houses. Later in 1931 fire destroyed many buildings including several of the large buildings in the Exhibition Park such as the Main Hall and Dining Hall. At one time Beachburg was a stopping place along the railway line with a station and grain elevators until these buildings were also destroyed in the fire of 1931.

Today Beachburg is a bustling rural village offering a variety of stores and restaurants, an arena, several halls, a public elementary school and a public library. The Beachburg Fair, which is held in late July, is a popular attraction that has been drawing visitors from far and near since it was founded in 1857. It offers livestock shows, a midway, various displays and exhibits, live entertainment and plenty of excellent country home cooking and baking. The Beachburg Lions Club is a very active service group which has been part of the community since it was chartered on May 8, 1953. One of its many projects has been the establishment and dedication of the War Memorial located at the east entrance to the village which lists the names of local individuals killed in the two World Wars.



Wanted - Photos of Beachburg.

Send us your photos to include in a gallery for this section