Hamlet of Forester's Fall  

The hamlet of Forester’s Falls dates back to the early 1800's when a dam and road were built over the waterfall on McNaughton’s Creek. It is named after Oliver Forester, the hamlet’s first post master and one of the community’s first school trustees. The first settlers of Forester’s Falls were mainly English, Irish and Scottish.

The hamlet included a sawmill, a gristmill and three general stores among other buildings when a fire destroyed most of the community in 1870 leaving only the dam and bridge standing. As the hamlet rebuilt and flourished, one could encounter a blacksmith, a wagon maker, a shoemaker, a hotel and livery stable, a cheese factory, a metal shop, a dress & suit maker, a brick & tile business and several general stores.

Today, Forester’s Falls attracts history enthusiasts and people researching their family tree who tour the Ross Museum and browse through its archives. It also attracts the outdoor adventurer en-route to whitewater rafting, kayaking and canoeing activities on the Ottawa River.