Hamlet of Westmeath

 

The hamlet of Westmeath overlooks the Lower Allumette Lake and its name comes from a county in Ireland. The first settler in Westmeath was George Washington Tucker who owned a large section of the hamlet as shown on a survey plan dated 1875

.In the early days, Westmeath was situated on the busy portage route to the lumber camps and the hamlet grew as settlers moved into the surrounding area. It had several blacksmith shops, a carriage shop where wagons and buggies were built, a harness shop, a tailor’s shop, a shoemakers shop and a barber shop. The Acheson House was the first hotel. There also were several general stores in which the farmers could sell or trade their produce locally.

In later years, Westmeath boasted one of the first covered arenas in this rural area. Today, the hamlet of Westmeath provides residents with a rural lifestyle yet it offers the convenience of two small elementary schools, several churches and an arena/community hall all within its boundaries.

 

For further information about Westmeath and its Recreation Association, visit www.westmeathtoday.ca