2018 FINAL TAX BILL
The due dates for the 2018 Tax Bill for all properties are:
February 28 April 30
August 31 and October 31
Payment can be made at the Municipal Office in Cobden, by mail and at the ScotiaBank in Beachburg, Cobden or Pembroke. We accept post-dated cheques and Debit Cards. Other payment options available include pre-authorized payment plans arranged with the Township and Internet/telephone payment arranged with your bank. We also have a drop-off box located at the main entrance to the Municipal Office in Cobden.
The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for placing a value on all properties in Ontario. Property taxes are calculated by multiplying a tax rate, as set by the Council of the Township of Whitewater Region, by the property's assess value.
PRE-AUTHORIZED PAYMENT PLANS
The Township of Whitewater Region offers payment plans for the due date and for monthly payments.
Due Date – On each due date the tax installment amount will be automatically withdrawn from your bank account.
Monthly – On the 20th of each month (or the next business day) a pre-determined amount will be automatically withdrawn from your bank account.
Benefits of Choosing a PAP Plan:
- No more worries about missing due dates or incurring late payment charges.
- Monthly payments allow for easier budgeting.
- Save on postage and transportation costs.
In the event that your taxes are not current, automatic payment plans may be customized to bring accounts up to date. Some restrictions may apply.
Application forms may be obtained by contacting the Township of Whitewater Region, PO Box 40, Cobden ON K0J 1K0 at (613) 646-2282, email the tax department or click on the link below to obtain a copy of the form
TAX REBATE - VACANT COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS
Commercial and industrial buildings with vacant areas may be eligible for a tax rebate based on the following:
- the entire building of a whole commercial or industrial building must be unused for at least 90 consecutive days
- a portion of an industrial building must be unused for at least 90 consecutive days and be clearly delineated or physically separated from the used portions of the building
- a suite or unit within a commercial building must be unused for at least 90 consecutive days and be clearly delineated or physically separated from the used portions of the building and either be capable of being leased for immediate occupation or be not capable of being leased for immediate occupation because it was undergoing or in need of repairs or renovations or was unfit for occupation.
Rebate amounts depend on the number of days of vacancy and the portion of the assessment of the building not occupied. In general, the amount of the rebate for commercial properties is 30% of the fully occupied taxes. The amount of the rebate for industrial properties is 35% of the fully occupied taxes.
The deadline to submit a Vacancy Rebate Application for a tax year is February 28 of the following year. The completed application should be returned to the Township of Whitewater Region, PO Box 40, Cobden ON K0J 1K0. The property owners may submit a maximum of two applications per property per year either in the form of one application to cover all vacancies that occurred on a property during the entire tax year or in the form of two applications, one that covers vacancies that occurred during the first six months of the year and a second that covers vacancies that occurred during the last six months of the year.
There is an appeal process available if the property owner disagrees with the amount of rebate calculated. An appeal must be submitted in writing with the appropriate fee within 120 days after receiving notification of the rebate amount to the Assessment Review Board (ARB). The property owner may also appeal to the ARB if the municipality does not process a rebate application within 120 days after the deadline for submitting applications or within 120 days after the owner has provided all the information required in support of the application, whichever date is later.