The Whitewater Historical Society is committed to the collection and preservation of local history within the Whitewater Region.
About Whitewater Historical Society
Ross Museum is the main focus of the Whitewater Historical Society. The society was established in 1985 to promote and preserve local history, and collections were in safe keeping until the museum received the donation of the Ross House, a replica of an early 1800's home. The museum was opened to the public in 1995 and now has five buildings which house the collection. The most recent acquisition, St Aidans Church, has been restored but still requires some helpers to replace some of the brick work.
History of the Society
The society was established in 1989 as the Ross Township Historical Society. In 1995, a log house was donated to the society. This had been the second home built on the Shore of Muskrat Lake by the Ross family who settled there in 1832. The home was dismantled and reconstructed on a donated property in Foresters Falls, right across from the municipal office. This is half way through the village on Renfrew County Road # 7.
A heartwarming amount of volunteer labour, equipment, and money made the project a success. It was reminiscent of the barn raisings of yore, complete with home cooked hot meals brought to the workmen. There was a township fire hall next to the log home. It became surplus when a new fire hall was built, and was donated to the society. It has been turned into an exhibit area. The society changed its name in 2004 from the Ross Township Historical Society of Whitewater Region to the Whitewater Historical Society.
Meetings are held the last Thursday of every month. Visitors are welcome.
NOTE - due to COVID-19, meetings are cancelled until further notice.
For more information or to join
For more information or to become a member, call Janis Tomkinson, President at (613) 582-3913 or email email@example.com.