Marriage Ceremonies and Marriage Licenses

The Township of Whitewater Region now offers Marriage licenses

$125.00 resident

$150.00 non resident


Can we get married at Town Hall?

               Yes- $200 fee; $100 dollar non refundable deposit is required at time if booking

Can a license be picked up by someone else?

               No. A Marriage Licence can only be issued to the Applicant and/or Joint Applicant with both of the Applicants signature on the application and both applicants applicable identification.

Can you apply for a marriage licence and get married on the same day?

               Yes, you can; however, please allow ample time. If documentation or identification is not in order you could add hours to the processing time or worse, you could be denied the issuance of a licence.

Do both applicants have to be present to obtain a Marriage Licence?

               No. However, a Marriage Licence can only be issued to the Applicant and/or Joint Applicant with both of the Applicants signatures on the application and both applicants applicable identification must be presented even if only one applicant is present.

How old must I be to get a Marriage Licence?

               Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to obtain a Licence. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' consent (or parent with custody of minor). No person under the age of 16 years may be married.

What Identification is Required?

               We require identification for BOTH APPLICANTS in the form of:

A current passport (which includes a photo)


an original birth certificate


one piece of government-issued photo identification, i.e. driver's licence, permanent resident card, Ontario Health Card (with photo), Canadian Citizenship card

This is required for both applicants.

Where and When can I get a Marriage Licence?

               They are available from the City Clerk's Office: 44 Mian Street Cobden ON  0J 1K0 Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS.

Couples may have a civil wedding ceremony performed by the Clerk or appointed staff.

Prior to a wedding ceremony, a meeting with the Clerk (or designate) is a requirement in order to ensure an understanding of the ceremony by both participants. A meeting  may be arranged in advance by the scheduling of an appointment. Scheduling of a civil marriage in Council Chambers must be made with the Clerk or designate at least two (2) weeks prior to the intended date for the ceremony.   Ceremonies can be performed, Monday to Friday, during regular office hours. Please note that dates and times for a wedding ceremony are limited due to other work related commitments by the Town Clerk or designates.

For a list of designates please call the office.

The cost of a wedding ceremony is currently $200.00 payable in advance to the Township of Whitewater Region.  A $100.00 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of scheduling. For an appointment or for further information, please contact Carmen Miller, Clerk at or by phone at 613-646-2282.

Please see the Marriage Solemnization Guidelines for more information.

Age minimum

You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario.

Under 18 years old: you will need written consent from both your parents. You can get consent forms where you get a marriage licence.

Types of marriage

To ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally, an authorized official needs to marry you. There are 2 types of marriage ceremonies performed in Ontario:

Religious marriage: a recognized religious official marries you. Check the religious marriage officiants list to ensure that the officiant you are interested in hiring is authorized to perform a marriage in Ontario.

Civil marriage: a judge, justice of the peace or authorized municipal clerk marries you, often at a local municipal office or city hall.

Forms you need before you marry

Before you get married, you need either:

  • a marriage licence, or
  • a banns form that you get from a church when you publicly announce your commitment during a divine service (a church publishes this declaration, called “the publication of banns”)

Banns cannot be published if you or your spouse has been married before. You will need to get a marriage licence.

You and your spouse, witnesses and the person who performed the marriage will need to sign the licence or banns immediately after the ceremony.

How to get a marriage licence

To get a marriage licence, you will need to:

  • bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification must include your photo.
    Examples of government-issued identification:
    • government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
    • valid passport
    • record of immigrant landing
    • Canadian Citizenship Card
    • valid driver’s licence
    • valid Ontario Photo Card
  • pay a fee (fees vary and depend on the municipality)

Please check the municipality’s website to ensure you have all of the information required to purchase a marriage licence.

A marriage licence is valid for 90 days from the date it was issued.

Get a marriage certificate

A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.

You need this document to:

  • show legal proof you are married
  • apply for certain social benefits
  • settle an estate
  • change a last name

A Record of Solemnization of Marriage is not the same thing as a marriage certificate.

Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered.

The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to ServiceOntario.

Order a marriage certificate

Change a name after marriage

When you get married, you don’t have to legally change your last name (surname). But if you choose to legally change your last name, you can do so through ServiceOntario.

Change my last name

Remarry after a divorce

Divorced in Canada

You will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • the final decree
  • the final judgment
  • a certificate of divorce

Out-of-country divorces

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

You will need to send the following documents to ServiceOntario:

  • marriage licence application form: completed and signed
  • statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Note: Completed Foreign Divorce Authorizations are sent to applicants by courier. It is important that your full mailing address including suite/unit/apartment and buzzer number is included on the marriage licence application form, or the courier package cannot be delivered and returned to ServiceOntario.

Please mail these documents directly to:

Marriage Office
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8

You can also contact this office to have a sample legal opinion letter faxed to your lawyer.

For more information: call 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free).